Sunday, August 14, 2011
Indiana State Fair stage collapse
I found this video on YouTube that catches it as it occurs. There's always someone somewhere with rolling video.
The scaffolding collapse killed 5 and injured around 40 people. Following the collapse, many ran toward the debris to assist with aid and attempt to pull people out if they could.
I always wonder what makes people stay and what makes people go? Is it a split second decision? Or no decision at all? I have never been faced with this spot on calamity situation. I'd like to think I'd stay to render what kind of assistance I could.
I have done the Heimlich maneuver 2 or 3 times successfully and had no second thoughts. I just did it. Once in my personal life and a couple times at work.
I have performed CPR a hundred times and had no 2nd thoughts about doing it. I just had to. It's what I get paid for, but never faced a CPR situation on the street.
I helped that kid after he got hit by the car a couple years ago down the street from my house and had no 2nd thoughts. I heard it and just left with the phone in my hand.
Would you stay and help or run for safety?
SOM 8/14/11
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment