Friday, July 15, 2011

Why can't the word no be enough?

And I say it frequently and I say it to a lot of people.

My children have issues with the word no. They whine and fuss and demand a legitimate explanation as to why their wants, needs and wishes have had the denied stamp on them. Kids are different. I think kids need explanation because it helps them understand the world around them. Usually it's a financial reason and I tell them I don't have the money for that. I find that kids accept the word 'no' better with an explanation.

On the other hand, adults need to accept the word no without explanation. I shouldn't have to explain myself to a grown up. They should understand already that there are reasons why their request has been denied. I am not a genie, don't rub me and expect wishes to be granted.

"Are you going to________?"

"Do you want to_________?"

And the answer is no. Why can't that be enough?

SOM 7/17/11

No comments:

Post a Comment