Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The big 3-7 partII


Finally I got a little bit of appreciation from the people that actually appreciate me and love me. The people I don't fight with, the people I didn't birth, the people I don't sleep with...my coworkers. On Sunday evening at work we celebrated my 37th birthday in style. At midnight, our least busy time, we had a grand feast in the employee lounge. All of us gathered in there and we ate stuffed shells, meatballs and "gravy", fresh baked bread and we all ate birthday cake. My friends got my 25$ gift card to Barnes & Noble and the card was funny and it sang me a song that had to do with bowing to the birthday girl.

Bowing is a work related joke among us.
There was a lady that worked in housekeeping that was of Asian descent. A very happy and very outgoing little Asian lady, older and she was thrilled to have a job, any job, even a housekeeping job. And she did her job well. We had never met her before and she wasn't there long with us and to be honest I don't know where she went or why she left, but I was in awe of this woman's enthusiasm and happiness. And oddly enough her name was 'Toilet', which seemed fitting because she was a housekeeper. My first encounter with the Asian housekeeper named toilet was one that involved a bow. She said hello and literally bowed in front of me. I was in shock and awe because no one had ever bowed to me and meant it with her true heart. She bowed to everyone and anyone, but it didn't have an effect on them the way it did me. I fancied seeing her and she'd bow. I got a little tingle inside. Eventually the bows stopped and turned into hugs as she'd say hello. That was fine, too, but the bow stuck with me. I tried to get the nurses to bow and they refused. I wanted to make it a policy that staff bow to me. They didn't go for it; thus, the card about bowing and in a way that was how the girls bowed to me:) All the food was delicious. We laughed and joked around and it was fun.

I still need to go on B&N.com and spend my gift card. SOM 7/12/11

No comments:

Post a Comment