Friday, July 27, 2012

The ocean was a mean drunk bitch

I hate leaving the ocean. It's a drag, waking up to the 3 hour ride home, dragging three kids outta bed against their will. It's crazy, but I have always wanted to be a hotel clerk, the gal that checks people in and out and such. I have also always wanted to be a shore restaurant waitress, taking orders from happy sunburned or tanned people. It's a place where everyone always seems happy and glad to be there.
I love the ocean breeze, the smell of the salt water, the sun even though I have to apply and reapply sunscreen. This week my legs burned. From hip to feet, burned red. And even though it stings and my after burn Aloe concoction is not working, I don't care because I was there.
I was on the walkway deck the other morning thinking, 'if I were only this at peace at home'. I never am. There's something calming and soothing about the place, the non stop crashing of waves on the shore. I could watch the waves all day come in and out from the shore line. Look at tanned thin bodies and fat bodies squeezed into suits that are way too small for their asses.
On Wednesday we set out for our day on the beach. I have never seen the surf that rough. I was knocked down, pushed, dragged and thrown by waves. I was tossed about and had my swimsuit pants pulled off by the surf. My knees had scrapes from the shore line's shell shards and pebbles. I was abused by the beach til I gave up. The kids felt the same way.
We set up our stuff, chairs, umbrella and belongings what we found out was too close to the surf. Eventually it crept up to us, flooding the chairs, the bags, the towels. Everything was full of sand and soaking wet. I salvaged the cell and camera and cigarettes, which I had sense enough to keep elevated. This was not a tsunami wave by any means, no where near it in fact. The oceans was a mean drunk bitch that day. We walked away from mother nature and opted for the pool.
I could spend the entire day on the boardwalk, people watching and observing. The kids were not having that. They had their fun at the inlet with the rides, games and food. The kids like their shopping too. Zack got a green laser pointer, then he found out he wasn't allowed to shine it near, on or around anything in Ocean City. It's green not red, so the odds of it being a gun zeroing in on a random victim is little to none. We ate boardwalk fries smothered in vinegar and funnel cake. We were touristy, roaming around the shops, looking for all kinds of trinkets, buying hardly anything at all, except the hermit crabs and the gecko lizard. The kids always come home with some creature that doesn't live long enough to gain any space in our hearts as a pet.
So we're home, stuff is away and I farmed all my farmville acreage. We are home to obnoxious barking German Shepherds and the firehouse whistle and the trains tooting down the tracks. Back to neighbors and work. I work tonight. Such fun, but I get to chill with my friends.
The next trip is to this small water/amusement park in Jersey on the 8th. I'll be glad to get in one more camping trip this summer...fingers x'd.
Jill
7/27/12

No comments:

Post a Comment