Saturday, April 07, 2012

E=elderly

E=elderly

Late entry for Thursday, 4/5/12

The hotel where we stayed this week had the main attraction that we as a family sought specifically for the preseason beach:an indoor pool.

It is a must, considering it's anywhere between 50 and 70 degrees and outdoor swimming is impossible. It's not Cali or Florida, people. The hotel was ok. I won't get all into that here cause it's not important. What is important is the indoor pool. 4 liquid feet of kid occupier. Keeps them all smiles and keeps me from pulling my hair out. A week where no one loses any sleep or sanity.

So the last day there it was 53 degrees out side and windy. Beyond ocean breeze windy too. That wind was the cutting kind. We had exhausted all of our activity the day prior at the inlet with the games and Ripley's museum and food and sand that we were poolside all day Thursday. I made us all PB and J sandwiches, packed up our drinks and snacks and off we went to sit and pretend we were rich. About an hour and a half in to our poolside excursion,a woman about 70 years young weighing in about 250-300 with ginormous titties and a beyond Buddha belly arrives with her family. Anyone in the medical field in your family? Ask them about their 'spidey' senses. They are medical specific and they start to tingle when we see some shit that is just not right. Like a 300lb old woman on a slippery floor. No matter how many 'slippery when wet' signs you hang, some people are just an accident waiting to happen.

She swims, she walks, she glides around the pool like a water princess.

I'm sitting in my chair, minding my own business when my niece runs to me saying, "Someone fell, Aunt Jill!"

Oh, no you didn't! She broke my rule. Don't go telling anyone Aunt Jill/mommy is a nurse. I work the fuck at McDonald's drive through window and that is that. She busted that rule down, so I had to get up. I didn't want to and I could care less. Most peeps in the medical profession any length of time could really give a crap what your damn problem is while off the clock. I am not a new nurse and you aren't paying me, so bugger off as far as I am concerned. Kids don't get that, too young to turn their little heads.

I go over to the doorway on the opposite side of the pool and there she is. Sitting on the floor, back to me, both hands holding the back of her head. No blood. I really didn't like the rotation of that one leg. She just sat there in a daze, not saying a word. Another swimmer had come to her aid, trying to be Flo Nightengale. She released me from the hook my niece had placed firmly into me.

I went back to my table after offering a half hearted 'is she ok?' The whole entire family glared at me, so I went back to my book on my side of the pool and let Flo do her thang.

I sensed an ambulance ride and that was what happened. OCMD's finest crew arrived to slide her onto a backboard and cart her off.

Lesson: don't let your old people walk on slippery surfaces alone.

Unless you don't care. Unless you're sue happy. Unless you get giddy watching people fall. Unless you want you whole spring break ruined by grandma's shiny new hip prosthesis and a fresh incision that you better damn well hope doesn't get infected.
 
Jill
4/7/12

3 comments:

  1. This reminds me of my good friend who is a dr... where ever he goes, there is a problem, and he always prays there is another doctor around...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed my self blue! I feel the same way! I "retired" this year cause frankly I couldn't stand it any more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny. I don't blame you for wanting to hide. It's not fun to be working for free on your vacation, plus no one wants that kind of liability. I guess there are those good Sam laws in place to protect you when you get stuck, right?

    ReplyDelete