Friday, March 02, 2012

ICE

a mom blog community

Today is March 3,2012
Today’s topic is
   What if you didn’t have to worry about…

I have been watching too many end of the world movies. Last night’s Independence Day is a prime example. My options last night were Atlantic City Hookers or Independence Day. Rather than watching Family Guy reruns or hookers, I sat there and didn’t take my eyes off the screen for the hundredth time. Watching this type of movie always gets me in my mini-paranoia mood. Do I think that aliens are heading to the city of brotherly love? No. Do I think an asteroid is heading toward the earth? No.  An ice age is forming? No. I had that dream a few weeks ago about the fires. I still can’t shake the visual of that. Terminator, Cyberdine robots. Anyone?  Then the storms that happened today, tornados whipping up houses and lives has me a bit on edge.
Which brings me to the ICE bag idea. I have tossed the ICE bag around my brain since I was a teenager. I have no idea why because I have never been in a disaster, natural or otherwise. We had that hurricane last year, who’s name I cannot recall and the bitch had to land on a weekend while I was at work. That much I do remember. And I am a proud survivor of the East Coast Quake that happened last year that I still seethe with anger because I. FELT. NOTHING. as we drove home from the diner. Back to the ICE bag. A bag of items that would come in handy in case of an emergency.      
Pack a bag that contains seasonal appropriate clothing and the usual sanitary supplies and load up the van. That would be the car we use on an emergency basis only because we could sleep in it if we had to. I mentally make a list (clothes, deodorant, jackets, blankets) then it takes on a life of its own as the list grows longer and longer. Soon I have the entire house in the van and we’re sitting here clothesless, shoeless, and itemless as we wait for the end.
I think I’m crazy, but the ICE bag idea started crossing my mind again as the UFO’s started hovering over every major city on the planet. I was half way ok til the movie president stated that Philly was gone. All I could think of was that damn bag and fitting 4 of us in the van. Where would we go?crossed my mind as well. That’s a whole different story depending on the disaster. And how would I know what disaster we’d face?
See!  Paranoia. I’m not delusional or psychotic yet.
The silly shit I worry about. I do know that I don’t want to be in the basement where the house could collapse on us as we hide out. That’s also another worry/fear of mine.
Jill
3/2/12

3 comments:

  1. I made an ICE bag after 9/11 - but then I moved and never made another one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When 9/11 happened my mother told me to get the baby and leave. Pack my things and head away from the city. I didn't want to. I felt far enough away from the tragedy of that day that I didn't need to leave.
      TY for reading, David:)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete