Friday, February 10, 2012

Kid whichever

The kids got in the car this afternoon after school. This is how our conversation usually goes.
"Hi, ____(kid whichever)___!! How was school?!" I ask with enthusiasm every day.
"Fine." Kid whichever will answer, usually mumbling.
"What did you do today?" I ask, my enthusiasm wanes, but my hopefulness for an answer still high.
"Nuthin." Kid whichever will answer.
Kid whichever is any of the 3 kids. All have the same answers for me.

Today I was surprised.
"Hi, how was school?!"
And the boy answered me. "Mom, I got to see muscle and bone today."
"Oh, great. Tell me." I was thinking in health, some poster of the anatomy with the blue and red lay out of the arteries and veins.
"This kid, on the playground, was running. He ran into the tree branches. It stuck him in the leg and he was bleeding and we saw the muscle and bone." He said all matter of fact like. Like he sees this every day.
"What did you just say? Muscle and bone?"
"Yeah, I heard about that too, Zack. Wow, you were there?" My niece chimes in.
"Yeah, during recess."
"Muscle and bone?"I repeat.
"Yeah, there was a big hole in his leg."
"So he had to go to the hospital, then?"
"Well, yeah, mom. He had a hole in his leg."

I was surprised. Muscle and bone. I didn't know whether to believe that or not, but he had this look on his face like he had seen muscle and bone. It's a specific look that one gets when they have seen muscle and bone or some innard of the human body. A drawn look with a special color of pale. The flesh wound look.

I wonder what Maureen-the-school-nurse had to say about that? Must have been like an ER in that little lice den of an office she runs.

Jill
2/10/12

8 comments:

  1. Ack!!! Well, on the bright side, they talked to you! My oldest didn't start talking much until his teacher began the introduction to Fairy Tales. He loves to regale me with all of the gruesome stories he learned with the Brother's Grimm. =)
    hanks for the follow! I <3 your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TYVM for dropping by. Mine only go for gruesoe too:)

      Delete
  2. Wow! Well, at least he was talking to you! That's crazy. Can you imagine being the mom of the other kid?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is somthing to remember at school. OUCHIE OUCHIE I can't imagine actually SEEING that. But true yes, I would have that look on my face too, the pale one. Glad you got a "conversation" about his day though, even though it was intense.. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the beginning of this conversation. I have the same conversation with all 3 of my older kids every single day. we haven't had any muscle and bone incidents yet, but they're still young. we have lots of years left for that to happen.

    visiting from Voiceboks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well ya mom. LOL that made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a mom, I guess you just pray hard that your kids don't see any muscle and bone again anytime soon! That conversation is priceless :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable conversation lol!! So funny how it takes the site of muscle and bone exposed to get more than a 'fine' out of them. My kids are all the exact same way!

    Thank you for linking up with the Getting to Know You hop :)

    Christina
    Spilled Milkshake
    Club-Content

    ReplyDelete