Saturday, January 14, 2012

Germs don't discriminate

Baby girl is sick. How do I know this?
She changed from clothes into pj's without any arm twisting or nagging, all by herself.
She's asleep on the couch.
No fever. 97.6 axillary. Does anyone stick a thermometer in their mouth anymore?
Snot's a running here, there and everywhere. Dimetapp in, ingested, digested.
Tissues all over the downstairs because she obviously doesn't know where the trash can is.
She has only lived here for 7 years.
Half a water ice to maintain hydration. The other half saved for later. It's in the freezer and may or may not be growing a culture.  In fact the spoon's still stuck in it.
She's all tucked in of her own volition,snuggly warm beneath my nice warm blanket.
If I didn't have to go to work, I would join her.
Guess who'll be sick next week? Me!
It always happens that way. For all the TLC and expert nursing care, the germs don't discriminate.
I jinxed myself last night, discussing how no one in the house has been ill yet this season.
Oh, well, let's build our immune system.
Jill
1/14/12

2 comments:

  1. Working with many women with young kids, this has a familiar ring to it, especially lately...
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete