Wednesday, November 16, 2011

International Day for Tolerance.






Yep, November 16 is International Day for Tolerance.

How, SOM, did you happen upon this little nugget of wisdom? Well, it goes like this. 

Dumb ass face book status update as follows, "Can I make a request? Is anyone willing to post this and leave it on your status for 1 hour? It is Special Education week & Autism & ADHD Awareness month, and this is in honor of all children who struggle every day, I know 99% of you wont Re-Post this and I Know the 1% that will. I have autisim in my family...and yes they struggle especially with a system who takes away schools from them!"

I hate, loathe, despise, cannot stand with every fiber of my being this type of stat!
I'd rather look at lol cats.

1.According to Google, there is no special education week.  
       -Should there be one?That's not for me to say. 
       -'No child left behind' covers that.
2.Autism month, again, according to google, is April.
3.ADHD month, again, according to google, is September.

If I am wrong here, you need to update google. Send them an email.

November... also covers a hodge podge of other 'awarenesses'.
My favorite is Holy souls in purgatory:)
* Native American Heritage Month
* Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month
* COPD Awareness month
* National Novel Writing Month
... * Alzheimer's Disease Awareness Month
* American Diabetes Month
* Lung Cancer Awareness Month
* National Homeless Youth Awareness Month
* Crohn's & Ulcerative Colitis Awareness Month
* National Pomegranate Month in the United States
* Holy Souls in Purgatory (Roman Catholic Church)
* International Drum Month
* National Stomach Cancer Awareness Month (United States)
* Epilepsy Awareness Month
November 20, by the way is Transgender Day of Remembrance.
 For the hell of it I punched in November 16. And what before my wondrous eyes should appear? A valid fucking cause. International Day of Tolerance.
I am not about to get onto a soap box and say the PC bullshit that is fed to us on a daily basis. Yes, it all sounds good. Are we really as tolerant as we should be as a nation? As a people? Advanced as we may be in this country there are wrongs that occur on a daily basis and the fact that we cannot come up with a valid, workable immigration policy for our Latino neighbors bothers the fuck out of me. We, as a nation, elected an African American president, who should have a platform to further the 'dream' that MLK had. Yes, there's a war. Yes, there's a deficit and a recession and yes, the country is a mess right now. But...his job should include further bridging the gap of racial equality. The take care of our own ideal is as old fashioned as the racists that raised me. It's time that this country leads again, setting an example of what our forefathers intended. The melting pot is fact, not fiction. We are all ancestors of immigrants. 
On the home front I would like to see more helping hands and more tolerance in that regard.
What can I do? I am one of 7 billion.  I realized this once I had my own little off spring: I can raise a different generation to follow.
 Please visit the UNITED NATIONS website to learn more about the day and its meaning. What does it mean to you?
SOM
11/16/11


2 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha...it's also daughters week, my dead animal week, my grandma is sick week. I totally hate those f/b status updates too!!!!

    LOL
    Sharon
    http://sharon-moms-madhouse.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't get me started on Facebook...
    :/~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete