Saturday, June 18, 2011

Like it's raining inside me.





I woke up to children in my room and a dollar bet. "I dare you to take a bite of this pepper. She's bettin' a dollar that you won't do it." Seriously, on a Saturday afternoon at 3pm, a full hour before my designated Saturday wake up time, they are in my room placing pepper bets. Cartoons on my tv and it's hot. The fan wasn't doing its job. I think it was too far away from my bed. He didn't take that bet, thinking it was a hot pepper. So he lost and the girl won. And I decided it was time to get out of bed.

I go looking for my coffee that the Rican said he'd grab for me and it's no where to be found. He forgot. He offered to go to wawa with the girl and off they went. I ushered them on their way up the street and then checked out my side view mirror on the mommy mobile. It took a 2nd whacking this morning at the store. There's even more glass missing from it, but not all of it. The person that hit it and broke more glass didn't report the incident to the Rican, just took off. The lack of honesty there irks me, and the kicker is I wouldn't have cared about the stupid mirror because it was already busted. Fractured and splintered from when I hit the car on my way to work years ago when the baby was still a baby.

I am still wound up from working last night. That job, I have started to bring it home with me. First off, three nurses called off. They were replaced kind of. One stayed over from middle shift. One came in after her second job and another stayed, but only till 2am. She got the bulk of it all done in that 3 hours she stayed and fortunately nothing of real emergence or interest happened and I had the easiest job in the building; rather, I had the 2 easiest jobs in the building. I am irked when I work 2 jobs and get paid for one. I get the shitty end of the stick regularly lately. So, at 2am I sit on the unit and vegge till it's time to do something, anything, and time stands still. I finished a novel. I took a mobile upload from the desk and sent it to FB.(pic above) I spent the last hour of the shift keeping grandmom in her bed and off the floor merely to avoid a mountain of paperwork. At 6am elderly turn into Houdini and suddenly think that they can do the impossible...walk. But I refrain from getting too involved with the work scenarios.

The other thing that really bothered me was my best girl died. She was the old lady that pushed everyone's buttons, pushed everyone's patience to the limit. Old and confused and harsh with her mouth. Once she lost that second son, she turned into herself and created this mean and nasty and very lonesome world. She was my best girl. I loved her:) and they had to tell me that she died. In a hospital in another state. That just made me sad and I have to find a new best girl. The kind I can fuss over, hug, feed, and hold hands with. I have a habit of picking the nastiest most misunderstood old ladies. She always made me smile...even when she was calling me names or calling me a fake bitch or telling me I was one of them, the liars of the world. Sometimes she'd really be carrying on, physically and verbally abusive. I 'd arrive up stairs and she'd bust out in the biggest smile and we'd hug and I'd find her sweet treats to eat. She'd be happy for awhile. We'd talk about her son, her memories, what she liked and wanted from life. Sometimes it's not a job. Sometimes its friendly conversation over graham crackers.
SOM 6/18/11

No comments:

Post a Comment